For some people, this is a very difficult topic. Now, some of you know I used to party and drink a little. Nothing major, but I did some. Since I got back in church and got things right, I gave it up. I haven't had a drink in over 3 years, since right before I met my husband. Recently, we have talked about drinking and if it's "right or wrong" from a biblical standpoint.
People I know that drink claim that Jesus turned water into wine. That God's people drank in the Bible. I have heard many other people justifying this from the Bible.
Ephesians 5:18 states it plainly for us. "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."
[Find more examples of results of being drunk HERE.]
Now, I know some very good Christian people that don't go out and get drunk. However, they do feel that it's okay to go out and have just one or two drinks occasionally because they are not getting drunk, hence the term Sippin' Saints.
Overall, here is where we stand. We feel that drinking is a personal conviction in itself. I don't know that I can completely say whether one drink is going to send someone to hell, but I feel that it will kill your witness. We used to be youth pastors before we changed churches, and especially for those in leadership positions, how can you tell someone that drinking is wrong and do it yourself. It's a lead-by-example thing.
As for killing your witness, I know that when I was living in the world, I wouldn't take anyone seriously talking to me about God and living right if they were sharing a drink with me, or in the bar with me. I know that if I was in a restaurant with someone that was not a true believer and I was talking to them about God, how could I tell him that they should live like me (a Christian) is I'm doing what they are doing. I truly believe that it's not okay to be a Sippin' Saint for the simple fact that I don't need anything to kill my witness. Can I prove that it's wrong to have an occasional drink without a doubt? No, I can only listen to my convictions and lead by the example that Christ would have me lead.
Faithfully His,


Very interesting post! You'll get lots of feedback, I'm sure of it. It's a difficult topic, so GO YOU! for writing about it. I personally do not drink - I had my very first shot of Bailey's irish cream in a chocolate shaped "shot glass" this past weekend, and it absolutely burned my throat like hell. So... alcohol makes you feel like hell... maybe that's punishment enough? lol... I don't know, but I hate hearing about people getting drunk and doing things they later regret - very unfortunate. I work at a drug and alcohol treatment facility and I hear/see some very terrible things.
ReplyDelete